Thursday, January 13, 2011

#43 series

"Random"
 I was worried yesterday that I wouldn't be able to do Mail Art that I liked today. I was just so pleased with Yesterday's cards. What to do?
"Random"

"Random" (al azar)

"Random"
Here is was, only day 43 and I'd be done!?

Then, this afternoon,  I listened to a radio interview with Noah (my son, the 365 guru) and he said that it was just about making something every day. That took pressure off of me. I didn't have to make art, or something that I liked, I just had to make something.

I decided that, rather than think about what I was going to do, I'd use a technique that I shared with students in my studio classes, for making an edition of Artist Trading Cards.  It involved randomness.

I had a large piece of cardboard, the backing from an old framed photograph. It had labels on it. I covered the entire piece with bits of three different pieces of paper from my stash. Then I turned the cardboard over and randomally cut 4" x 6" (11.25 x 16.5) pieces from it. I managed to get 4 of those sizes, and some scraps, one of which is a nice little 4" x 5" collage that I'll keep. When I turned the cards over, I was happy with the results. I only needed to add another piece to one card to satisfy my compositional taste.  Voila, random!  Oh, yes, #43 will be sent to someone
who has supported and encouraged me. He's smart, fun loving, creative
and inspiring, and more.

5 comments:

Noah said...

I really like these! Looks like you haven't actually peaked yet!

PostMuse said...

Snowy! When I saw just the images, I thought about the last few evenings when there was light snow falling.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

I really like these, Mim.

Margie said...

Oh my! See, this is why I want to be like you when I grow up !! Loved Noah's comment. Are you all better?

mad said...

I love these. Thanks for sharing your process. i might have to try it.

It's August already!!!

 The summer is half way over, and glad about it. It's been so hot here and we look forward to cooler days.  I'm writing writing this...