Monday, June 09, 2008

Market day, last very hot week!

One of our younger veggie shopper's displayed his carrots for me. It was mighty hot last Thursday, but I think this week might be hotter. Oh no! I brought with a small cooler full of ice water, which helped us stay hydrated.

I love when shoppers bring baskets. It's so old timey. We had conical cabbage, Magda squash, and kohlrabi, among all the other choices this past week.

Here are some kohlrabi tips in case you have the change to buy some: It's excellent cooked or raw. Just trim away the woody or tough portions of skin. Grate it into salads or make a "coleslaw" with it. Steam it whole for 25 to 30 minutes, or slice thinly and steam for 5 - 10 minutes. Saute with butter, add your favorite herbs. Chill and marinate cooked for a summer salad. Mash with a cooked potato, form into patties and fry. Any of the above sound really tasty. Try one of the suggestions and let me know how it turns out.

No comments:

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...