Saturday, April 05, 2008

Potato Soup


Potato Soup
(Potage des Vendanges)
with my variations.

from Vegetables the French Way
by Jack Santa Maria 1989

Les vendanges is the grape harvest. This nourishing soup is typical of those served to grape pickers during this season of hard work.

3 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
2 leeks, trimmed washed, chopped
1 pound potatoes, peeled, cut in pieces
black pepper & salt
6 cups vegetable stock
1 cup crème fraîche or cottage cheese
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon chopped tarragon

Heat the butter in a heavy pan and cook the leeks until they soften. Add the potatoes and turn in the butter for 3 minutes. Add the stock, herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over low heat until the potatoes are tender. Purée in a blender or food processor. Return to the pan and stir in the cottage cheese or crème fraîche. Serve garnished with tarragon.

ADAPTATIONS: I use olive oil in place of butter or olive oil with a bit of butter. I use onions in place of leeks. I add a minced garlic to the onions. I use water with vegetarian bouillon. If I don’t have cottage cheese and have sour cream, I use that with a bit of sugar. If you leave out any dairy, this is, of course, perfect for a vegan meal. Feel free to make substitutions that will make this your very own potato soup. When you reheat this soup do it on a low heat.

1 comment:

Crafty Mama said...

I will definitely be making this soup on a rainy Saturday. Yum!

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...