Monday, September 09, 2013

Catching up from last week, continued -


 There was an amazingly large dog sculpture on display at the Hirschhorn.
I was so excited to see it that I forgot to look at the name of the artist, but I did capture this photo with a man taking his souvenir image. The man surely gives the dog scale; otherwise, you might think this was just an ordinary dog, right?



 As we crossed the National Mall, the sky was so beautiful, I had to stop and take this photo of the Capitol building looking so white and lovely. I wasn't alone snapping a photo. There weren't so many tourists, since it was Thursday, but whoever was out and about, noticed how clear the light that day.
 At the Hirschhorn, the Barbara Kruger installation is still in place. I had to take another photo to share. Isn't it powerful to see text so large?
 The collage exhibit that we went to see at the Hirschhorn, contained one small room with some Joseph Cornell boxes. This is one of my favorites. 
 I was, also, pleased to see two Ray Johnson collages. Here's one that I took that is fairly clear. These were framed and under glass, to be sure.
















#249
This Mail Art memory piece has a photo that I took a long time ago, and a negative strip that doesn't look familiar. It might be from my old friend's photo album. As I was making these, I was having such moments of memories.

#250


This is a found photo. I have no idea who the people are. I like that it is quite small and in duplicate. The film strip is mine, our visit to Recoleta cemetery in 2004 or maybe 2005, I can't remember the date, though I remember the experience. Does that happen to you, also?
#251





This is an altered art card from an exhibit here in town. The birds are there because a Mail Art friend is doing a bird-a-day for a year Mail Art. This is going to her.

This Mail Art is an altered show card, too. It's one of our friend Keith Long's cards, from back in 2008. He makes sculpture from found wood.  We've stayed in his studios, both in New York City and in Paris, thus having the privilege of seeing his works in progress. Then we'd seem them in galleries as finished works. Process is very exciting!






Because I'm emptying out the stored boxes, and clearing things out - gone - I've come across old student work. I saved examples for future classes but now won't be teaching them any more. This is from 2006, a class about color exploration. There is no name on this example so I can't contact the student, sadly, I don't remember whose work it is. I, obviously, thought it was good enough to save as an example.

Cleaning out is cathartic, right?

2 comments:

Took said...

Wow -- that dog sculpture is fabulous and would be a marvelous addition to my living room.

How lucky you are to have seen the Joseph Campbell and Ray Johnson pieces in person!

Coolness!

Margie said...

Absolutely positively!

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...