Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Richmond Public Library






We went to the Richmond Public Library, the main one downtown, to see a show of VCU art foundation student work. The students had altered damaged books. While there, we saw other excellent exhibits of art, but the best thing was having someone who works there comes up to speak with us. Her husband had been a student of Chuck's many years ago. After chatting a bit, she offered to take us down to the Special Collections area, which wasn't open to the public at the time. We entered into this amazing space...my heart raced from the fabulousness of it. Okay, so I'm a really big library fan, and this space reminded me of the Legler library that I went to as a child in Chicago. The current display, up through the month of May is about horses in children's literature. The displays are well done and include horse objects. The area is open on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 10 to 5, on the lower level. If you're in Richmond, it's a gem to be experienced in person.

No comments:

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...