Thursday, February 21, 2008

Soup Time

My three vegetable soup (plus onion and garlic) came about because that's all I had in the way of veggies a few weeks ago. It turned out really tasty, sweet and rich. Even Chuck liked it and he doesn't like two of the three ingredients. Here's the recipe: One Acorn Squash. One sweet potato. One white onion. a couple garlic cloves. olive oil. A box of french onion soup or 4 cups of water, soy milk. Process: Cut an acorn squash in half and put on a greased baking sheet. Poke some holed in a sweet potato and put on the baking sheet, too. Bake until soft. Meanwhile, steam a white potato until softened. When all these are ready, you can start the soup, or put them into the refrigerator until you're ready to make the soup! Next day, day after next. When ready, Saute some onions in olive oil, add minced garlic. When onions are translucent, add the "meat" of the veggies (compost the skins and seeds if you can.) Mix the veggies into the pan until all mixed up in the onions then add the onion soup














or water. Bring to a boil then lower heat, cover pot, and simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool for a bit, then puree in a blender adding about a cup of soy milk, gradually. This turns out to be nicely sweet. You can season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, or other seasonings you like. I didn't add any. Let me know if you try this and how you like it. Brrr, it's getting really cold here, soup time!
¡Que aproveche!

1 comment:

mim said...

I'm adding a comment to my own blog! How crazy is this? My friend, Phyllis, made this soup but changed a few things based on what she had. She used Better Than Bouillon for the liquid and already had a baked potato in her 'fridge' so used it instead of the white potato. She brought some over, and it was delicious.

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...