Wednesday, February 20, 2013

More Mail Art, more Ai Weiwei, More mitts

#200

#50
 More using up of scraps. Look, I'm at day 200 of my 365.2 project. Amazing!

This looks very American Southwest landscape to me. What about to you? Anything?

Quote on reverse: "When we know ourselves to be connected to all others, acting compassionately is simply the natural thing to do." Rachel Naomi Remen


This one, too, has a kind of lonely out west feeling for me. And a connection to the phases of the moon Ai Weiwei piece though I did it before seeing his work.
 Quote on reverse: You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." John Bunyan
 These are porcelain crabs that are part of the exhibit of Ai Weiwei's work. They were in a huge pile and are a commentary on the situation in China, which I won't try to explain because I wouldn't do it justice.
 This image shoes the tail end of an enourmous snake made up of typical school children's back packs. If you click on the word snake you'll find out more about it, but the one we saw at the Hirshhorn used way more bags. Very intense!
Here are some more of my mitts. These remind me of a snake, not that I've seen a snake in these colors in real life. The are very soft merino wool. Since I learned out to make neat stripes, I like doing them. See more in my shop HERE.

2 comments:

phonelady said...

Love this post , mittens and the crabs and the snakes .. Loved all of it . take care .

Terrie said...

I'm really enjoying watching your circle series and being inspired to give it a try myself. AND, I owe you a card so watch your m ail.....

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...