Friday, December 21, 2012

A week of Mail Art & more

 Here's the newest bird in my home. It's made from drift wood and was given to me by a friend. It's perfect with the piece of drift wood that I collected on the Outer Banks last month.
 I made these pecan flour-y, powdered sugar-y cookies yesterday. They turned out really good. I used a recipe that was in an old Cook's Illustrated magazine. Melt in mouth good!
 My daily Mail Art this week had to do with the sad feelings that I couldn't seem to dispel. The shooting rampage in Connecticut with the loss of so many young children and the death of 10 little girls by a land mine in Afghanistan just filled me with such sadness. 
The quote on this one:
"Hugs can do great amounts of good, especially for children." Princess Diana, Princess of Wales.
 The quote for this one: "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." Martin Luther King Jr
 "I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures."
Lao Tzu

 This card's quote: "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." – Ralph Waldo Emerson
 “Our task must be to free ourselves... by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and it's beauty.”
― Albert Einstein

 After reading about a mission that Patience Salagado thought of (read about it here) - I made some little blank books out of old topographic maps, bought some crayons, and made coloring kits in honor of Emilie Parker, one of the children who was murdered in Connecticut. It was said that she loved to draw.






I placed the basket at Dixie Donuts, because I
 think there'll be lots of children stopping by the shop.
I'll be making 10 more books to put in the basket in a few days.




2 comments:

Margie said...

Oh dear Mim, such a beautiful post. No words. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

You have done one of the most touching acts in remembrance of a child lost through violence. Thank you, mim. It helps us remember all of them.

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...