Monday, October 15, 2012

Blog Action Day 2012 - The Power of We. #BAD12

Today is the day that bloggers around the world come together to blog on one theme. This year that theme is The Power of We.

The "We" that I want to mention today is The Richmond Peace Education Center (aka RPEC) which has been working since 1980 to promote a just and peaceful community.  The organizations' vision is to promote non-violence locally and globally.

I first learned of this organization when it sponsored a project for young people that my son became involved in many years ago. Young people went into the community and presented a play about nuclear proliferation and the need to stop it. Later, when my now adult son became president of the board, I was invited to participate as a board member. I then went on to work on the committee for the annual fundraising auction for many years. Through the work of this organization, I feel the power of we and that feels very powerful!

One of my favorite things that the organization does is work with youth through   RYPP (Richmond Youth Peace Project.) Young people are trained to be conflict resolution trainers, helping other young people to learn to resolve their differences through non-violent means. A youth essay contest on themes related to non-violence is held each year. Young people growing up with the support of this organization become leaders and influence their peers. The effect that this organization has on our community is tangible.

Check out their website to find out more about the organization. If you don't have anything like this in your community, you might want to find out how to start a group like this. In community, We can be powerful.

No comments:

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...