Sunday, April 17, 2011

Istanbul, and Mail Art #112

Tuesday, noonish
 This is a photo of three mail artists in Istanbul. How cool is this. Kemal, me, and Katerina.  We're sitting in the lobby of the Peak Hotel, shortly after this, we'll be met by Katerina's friend, Mustafa, and we'll be off on an adventure.
 The famous Pera Palas hotel tea room. This hotel was built by the Orient Express so that the passengers would have a European fancy hotel to stay in at the end of their trip. Agatha Christie stayed here and "her" room is available for a look, when it's not occupied.
Monday afternoon
 This was taken shortly after we met Katerina at her hotel around the corner and chatted for awhile. It was so amazing how we felt so comfortable, like meeting a long time friend, after a separation.
 Had to insert this, a pen shop drew our attention, of course. But we managed to control ourselves.
 Another of the stands. I spelled the name wrong in the previous post - simit not cimit. It's pronounced with the "s" sound. The "c" in Turkish is a "j" sound.
 Love the tram.
#112
Looking UP the street. Notice the cars. They are big cars, not tiny cars. They navigate the narrow streets and turns amazingly. The Istanbulis seem to favor big cars.

2 comments:

Margie said...

Mim! I can't tell you how much I am enjoying the highlights of your trip and photos. I can just imagine how thrilled you were to meet your mail art pals after knowing them through the post for so long. How wonderful? Good to have you back my friend. Xo

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

What Margie said -- what a great trip and thanks for sharing the stories and photos. Isn't it wonderful to meet mailart friends after exchanging mail? Looking forward to having that glass of wine with you, Mim!

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...