Tuesday, February 22, 2011

#84 Ululating

The first time I ever came across this word was in Ulysses by James Joyce, which I read while at University. I thought that Joyce invented the word. I liked it so much that I did an etching related to the word. Now, I'd like to be able to ululate about all of the troubles going on in the world today.

Instead, I'll make more mail art.

I tried to post the definition here, but somehow error kept coming up. I guess you'll have to look up the word on your own.



 

2 comments:

Margie said...

I like the off-centeredness of this one! Very dramatic piece.

Neal Deesit said...

I'd encountered the word, but never the practice, until I heard Arabic women in Tunisia ululating at a wedding.

This 7 second YouTube clip is a perfect example of the technique.

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...