Sunday, February 20, 2011

#82 the letter "S" for "security"

 Today's letter is "S." Early this morning, I read something on-line about recycling junk mail and they mentioned using security envelopes, with an explanation of what they are.
Well, perfect! Thanks for the reminder. I've been collecting those things since 2005 (how do I know, the postmark on some of the envelopes!) When I first started to save them, I had an e-mail conversation with Anna Banana about them, saying I didn't know what I was going to do with them. She said "You'll figure it out."  For awhile, I used them in my "fine art collages," a series that I did called, what else, "Security." Then I forgot about them until today.

 I started out with 8 pieces of substrate, postcard blanks. I attached a different piece of security paper to each. There are so many patterns to choose from, which was nice.
 I had already decided yesterday that I'd only use three elements today, so that helped with decision making. The letter "S" was one element so I only needed the others. I chose items that had to do with security, objects or living things that could evoke a feeling about security. In some cases, the item even starts with an "S." That's just a bonus.
 Viewers and receivers of the cards can decided what the reference or connection might be. Some are obvious, right?
 Like this one. Obvious.
 Obvious?
 Oh yes, obvious.
 Not so obvious.
Somewhat obvious.

Your choice, you decide.

3 comments:

VioletSky said...

I hadn't ever paid much attention to those envelopes before. so didn't realize how colourful they could be. Imagine collecting these for so long!

Sue said...

Totally love the variety of color & texture here. Wonderful. Gotta go sort through the recycling dumpster...

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

I collect those security envelopes too -- love the designs. Nice work with them, Mim.

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...