Saturday, August 11, 2007

Compassion

My thought for today....
Compassion in Action

Compassion can be practised anywhere: at airports, on beaches or in shops, whenever we are together with other people. Try this five-step exercise around friends and strangers. Do it discreetly and try to do all the steps with the same person.

With your attention geared to the other person, tell yourself:

◦ Step 1 "Just like me, this person is seeking happiness in his/her life."

◦ Step 2 "Just like me, this person is trying to avoid suffering in his/her life."

◦ Step 3 "Just like me, this person has known sadness, loneliness and despair."

◦ Step 4 "Just like me, this person is seeking to fill his/her needs."

◦ Step 5 "Just like me, this person is learning about life."

Source: Resurfacing: Techniques for Exploring Consciousness by Harry Palmer. And ODE magazine, June 2007

2 comments:

JB said...

Just what I needed to hear today. Thank you.

mim said...

You're very welcome.

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...